Wednesday 26 June 2013

I hate maths! (or so they say)

For every year I've taught so far, I always get some students telling me how much they hate maths and how they just don't 'get' it. Now, fundamentally I understand this because I too didn't 'get' it. I remember very vividly attending a new school where there were a lot of very posh, very intelligent children and they understood mental arithmetic and I didn't have a clue what the Pi was! I remember going home and crying because my mum and dad couldn't help to explain it to me. In those days (c. 1992?) the internet and Google were not even invented yet. Remember those days?!

Those of you who don't remember those days and are lucky enough to 'Google it' should be ecstatic - you can ask any question you want and get hundreds of responses...instantly! Indeed, this year I intend to focus much more on getting the learner to find out what they need to learn and just give some help and advice about how to go about doing it.

One of the first tasks I'm going to set my students is to get them thinking about the maths they do use and if they could do anything without maths.

For this task, I've designed a simple form - feel free to use it if you like!





No comments:

Post a Comment